Saturday, August 28, 2010

What, exactly, is inside the Wilton Cake Decorating Basics kit for class?

Brace yourself. You'll need to shell out an additional $35 for this kit when taking the Wilton class.
So here's the kit you'll need to buy for your first Wilton Cake Decorating class. You'll have to buy the kit before your first class begins. Immediately after registering for Decorating Basics at Joann Fabrics, I ran out and bought this kit. This was a few weeks ago; class doesn't start until September 2nd, but oh boy, I was eager to begin my first cake decorating class!

The kit is $34.99 at both Micheals and Joann's. When you register for the class at Joann Fabrics, you'll receive a coupon for 30% off any one class item. That's all fine 'n dandy, until you realize that Joann's accepts Michael's coupons--and Michael's coupons are always 40% off any regular-priced item.

I foolishly used the 30% off coupon, but that's okay. I didn't know any better. Like I said before, I'm not a crafter, scrapper, sew-er (is that right? I didn't want to write "sewer") or quilter, so prior to this, I had no reason to step into a Joann store. I'll save how I got inspired to take a cake decorating course in the first place, in another post.

Now I know better. When I found out the other supplies I'll need for Wilton's Decorating Basics, I started to WERK those Michael's coupons. Werk it, baby!

This is what's inside the package. Frankly, these whosie-whatsits look like tools for doing dental work.

Wilton Cake Decorating tools...or dental instruments?

That's everything you get for $34.99. Is it a good deal? Hell if I know.

I must say though, I was a wee bit disappointed. I guess I was expecting to get some sort of light reading material so I could try these doohickeys out on a cake of my own before class begins. There are no instructions to use these dental-like tools, so I placed them back in the box and set aside.

Your workspace, clothing and cake won't look this pretty.
One more thing, these women pictured on the box look a little too unrealistic. I mean, I hope my instructor is as patient as and approachable as the model on the box looks. Because, with me in her class, she'll need to be. But the student? Just...no. Too idealistic.

That will not be me.


First off, her clothes are free of frosting residue. I will be covered in the shit, trust me.


Second, her workspace is too clean. Yeah, it's a photo taken to promote Wilton Classes, but show some fondant particles or flour dustings, will 'ya?


Third...That cake. If you really think your cake will look like that after taking the first four Wilton classes, you're wrong. Unless you already have cake decorating experience...but then why are taking this class? It'll probably *resemble* it, but chances are, your buttercream will not be that smooth and your flowers will still look a little amaturish.


But that's okay. That's why I am taking this class.


By the way, the first Wilton class is $27 at Joann's, but you may be able to find it cheaper, depending on where you take the class. If you think of going to Joann's "Open House" on Saturdays to receive a discount on your cake decorating class, you're out of luck--the Wilton classes are not part of this offer, so don't bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment